Saturday, September 7, 2013

Vacation, Summer Harvest & A Tomato Sauce Recipe

We were on vacation for the past week in beautiful Cape Breton. We took our dogs, rented a cottage in Cheticamp and had a fantastic time: great views, ocean waves, access to the Highlands National Park, fresh air, beautiful sunsets, twinkling stars at night, and delicious seafood.  It was the perfect vacation; I hated to leave!  When I got home, I had a nice surprise that cheered me up quickly- I checked our garden beds and found a lot of tomatoes ready to be harvested. As a result, I picked an entire basket full and am simmering some of the tomatoes to make a sauce that I will freeze. The others will get used in salads and on sandwiches. 

I swear by organic gardening methods- my tomatoes always grow really well.
Lots of tomato goodness! 

We saw the most beautiful field of sunflowers! It was a nice discovery on a dreary, rainy day

Our dogs swam their little hearts out, loving the ocean waves and warm water

Beautiful waterfall in the Highlands National Park


The views were stunning everywhere you'd look!


Some of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen.


Easy Tomato Sauce
Cut up tomatoes into 2" pieces, add to a non-stick pot.  I had about 12 large tomatoes. Add four cloves of garlic (whole, not chopped), 1 tsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of sea salt. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.  Once you have achieved a boil, turn heat down to simmer the sauce. Once the tomato mixture had started to reduce, transfer to a blender or use a hand-held immersion blender to puree everything. Then, add 2 tbsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp of dried oregano, and pepper to taste.  Reduce further on a low heat for as long as you you would like to get the consistency you want.  Note: this recipe is not suitable for hot water bath canning practices as it contains olive oil and not enough acid to be suitable for being sealed in a jar on a shelf (bacteria would grow and spoil your sauce).

I had a mixture of yellow, burgundy, and red tomatoes so the sauce is a bit light. It tastes amazing though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...