Sunday, September 8, 2013

Preserving the Harvest: Recipes on my Radar

Now that I'm back from vacation, I'm getting caught up on reading some of my fave blogs. I read the latest entry at Simple Bites and it lit a fire in me- I need to get organized to make sure I complete the preserving activities I had planned for this summer's supply.  There are still a few things on my radar that I want to squeeze in, I've listed them below in case others have an interest.

I came across the site Local Kitchen- there is a page dedicated to tomato recipes and I wanted to pass it on to the other tomato lovers out there. The descriptions all sound lovely and super tasty.  Can't wait to go through them in more detail!

My tomato basil jam

Pickled golden beets: recipe from Marisa at Food in Jars. I LOVE beets. They're earthy, full of nutrition, and I love their color. I grew up eating pickled beets with traditional red beets and am looking forward to trying a pickled golden beet.   I'm also going to make a yellow tomato and basil jam recipe that she has up on her site; I made it a couple of summers ago and it was delicious.

It's likely that I'll have some green tomatoes at the end of the season. I'm going to try this recipe from Ball for a salsa verde.
A couple of the green tomatoes in my garden
This recipe for apple butter from Canning Across America is on my list.  I love apples- they're the perfect symbol of autumn to me. (Apple butter is a reduced apple mixture that forms a spread similar to a butter- it doesn't actually include butter, in case you're wondering.)

I'm going to make salsa that I can process in jars; I did this a couple of years ago and although the results were a little runny, the flavour was great! This recipe includes tomato paste, which should help thicken up the mixture.
My canned salsa from a couple of summers ago

I recently bought a tomato press and a pressure canner- I'm looking forward to make tomato sauce and home-made stock.  I stick to a basic sauce like this one.  I add a few basic dried herbs (basil, oregano) to the sauce and that's it. The rest gets added when I use it in cooking.  Please be careful when selecting tomato sauce recipes for water bath canning- use those from trusted sources. Acidity levels vary among tomatoes and it's important to make sure you don't waste your time making sauce with a recipe that doesn't have sufficient acidity to help ward off bacteria and prevent spoilage.

Lastly, I'm looking forward to making BBQ sauce again. I have a recipe that came from a canning magazine a few years ago and it's so good. I can't find it online to post a link.  When I make it, I'll blog about it and show you the step-by-step process. It's a little labour intensive, but it's well worth it.
My home-made BBQ sauce from a couple of summers ago

What recipes are you looking forward to trying with the last of the summer harvest?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...