Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pickled Golden Beets

I have been looking for pickling recipes to preserve beets for a while now. I have pickled red beets before and grew up eating them, but wanted something different. I stumbled upon a recipe for pickled golden beets from Marisa at Food in Jars; it was on my radar for a few weeks so when I saw beets at the farmers market on Saturday, I went for it.  I plan on digging into these with pot roast, putting them on salads with goat cheese and walnuts, or having them with fish. Beets are easy to grow, easy to find at markets this time of year, and are full of nutrition.


Recipe
2 lbs of golden beets- make sure they are firm to the touch when you buy them; if they feel soft, they're old and won't give you the best results
2 cups of apple cider vinegar; I used a local apple cider vinegar from the market. Make sure it has at least a 5% acidity
2 cups of water
2 tbsp of pickling salt
3 tbsp of pickling spice (it's a spice mixture sold at most supermarkets)
This recipe made 3 500ml jars of pickles

Instructions
1) Boil the beets until they slide off of a fork or knife.  Run cold water over them once boiled, let them cool a bit, then peel their skins off. The skins should come off easily.

2) Cut beets; I prefer slices but you can cut them up into wedges if you prefer.

3) Prepare brine- bring cider vinegar, water, salt to a boil.
4) Sterilize jars and keep them warm while you wait for the brine solution to be ready. Make sure your canning lids are simmering in water, to soften the gel on the lid.
5) Remove jars from water (I sterilize mine by putting them in the canning pot with the hot water that I'm using for the hot water bath), fill with pickling spice (divide pickling spice among jars). 
6) Add beets to each jar and top with brine. Leave 1/2" headspace in the jar.

7) Tap jars to remove air bubbles (I also use a chopstick to circle around jar); wipe rims, apply lids, then put bands on jars (finger tight only- don't tighten them too much or you won't get a proper seal).
8) Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes. Remove, let cool then check lids to make sure they sealed.  Store in cool, dark space. They're good to eat within 48 hrs... if you can wait that long.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...