Sunday, September 22, 2013

Make Your Own Mustard

Mustard is by far my favorite condiment. It's the perfect combination of tangy and spicy, which I adore. I was reading through a few preserving cookbooks yesterday and stumbled on a recipe for a spicy honey mustard that looked surprisingly simple to make. I can't wait to have it on burgers, sandwiches, etc. It's another recipe courtesy of Food in Jars (seriously- the book is amazing!).


Recipe
1 cup dry mustard
1 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup honey (I used clover honey- it's a light honey)
1/2 tsp salt (I used a fine sea salt)
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
 I used small jars (125 ml) and ended up with 7 of them.


Instructions
1) Add everything to a medium-sized pot, and whisk everything together to blend it
2) Simmer over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, it should get thick.

3) Sterilize jars, simmer lids, and prepare hot water bath in your canning pot.
4) Ladle mustard mixture into jars leaving 1/2" of headroom. Wipe rims, clear out air bubbles, seal and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Edited to add: the mustard will take several days to develop its flavor and mellow out- be patient.  Also, if you don't feel like canning, you can put jars into the fridge instead.  It should last a few weeks.

Easy peasy! I highly recommend giving it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...