Sunday, August 25, 2013

Preserving the Tomato Harvest: Roasted Tomatoes

Inspired by this post on Simple Bites and this post on the Hip Girl's Guide to Homemaking, I decided to roast some of the tomatoes from my tomato harvest & from the local farmer's market. The results: AMAZING. I will definitely do this again.  I tasted a few and they're little bursts of flavor and concentrated tomato goodness. I've got them cooling in a container before I put them in the freezer. (I'm setting them aside for our cottage vacation next week in beautiful Cape Breton.)

I preheated the oven to 275 degrees.  I then cut the tomatoes in half and spread them out on a baking tray.  I sprinkled them with sea salt, ground pepper, and dried basil. I then drizzled a little bit of extra virgin olive oil.





I then put them in the oven and waited.

And waited. 

And waited some more. In total, for smaller tomatoes they were hauled out after about hour 3.  The medium sized tomatoes came out at hour 4.  The larger tomatoes came out at hour 5.  It's all about monitoring- when they get flatter and look full of roasted goodness, they're ready.


The finished product. 
Then, I let them cool. You can preserve them by freezing like I am (I'm using a plastic container from Ball intended for freezing preserves) or you can use them up within a couple of days and put them in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...