Saturday, August 3, 2013

Honey Berry Jam

This recipe combines a lot of my favorite ingredients into one amazing summery jam- blueberries, golden raspberries and honey.  I really love blueberries- I grew up eating little wild blueberries and always got excited when August rolled around because we'd get buckets of them.  The good news is they are full of antioxidants and good for us. I would have them on cereal, for dessert, in my grandmother's jam, or by the handful as a snack.   The same for raspberries- they grew wild near our house and we would pick them regularly. They were tart, juicy bits of goodness that helped symbolize summer to me.


When I moved to Nova Scotia, my blueberry repertoire expanded- I discovered high bush blueberries.  I use them in jam recipes when wild blueberries aren't here yet (like now).  They're juicy and delicious. When I was at the farmer's market this morning, I also saw golden raspberries.  They looked like they had just been picked. If you've never had golden raspberries, you're missing out. They're a bit sweeter than red raspberries and have a more floral flavour.  They are here for a short period of time so I grabbed them.




Recipe
4 & 1/2 cups of high bush blueberries
4 cups of golden raspberries
Zest and juice from 2 lemons
2 & 1/4 cups of clover honey
1/2 cup organic cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground clove

Bring all of the ingredients to a boil, stirring everything together.  Once a foam starts to form, skim the foam off.  Reduce the heat to medium, softly boiling the mixture.  Cook everything for about 40 minutes, until it reduces and gets jam-like in consistency.  The color is beautiful- it's dark and burgundy.




Sterilize jars in a hot water bath, then fill the jars with the jam mixture.  Process jars, following safe canning practices, for ten minutes in a boiling hot water bath.  Let jars cool, ensure the jars have sealed properly before storing them.

This jam would be perfect with sourdough toast, on ice cream, or with cheese. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...