Friday, August 2, 2013

Figgin' Delicious! Small Batch Fig Jam

I love fig jam- it's earthy, gooey, and perfect on toast with a bit of goat or cream cheese. I stumbled upon some Calimyrna figs at a local market and decided that I'd try a small batch. Getting fresh figs on the east coast is a challenge to say the least. Usually by the time they reach us, they're pretty beat up. But these figs looked good!
 

Recipe
4 cups chopped figs
1 cup light honey (I used clover honey from the local farmer's market)
1 tbsp cinnamon (I love cinnamon- you can reduce this if you don't want a strong cinnamon flavour)
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
Makes two small jars of jam

I started off by washing the figs and then chopping them up into pieces about 1/2 inch in size.  I then added them to a wide non-stick pot along with the other ingredients and brought them to a soft boil. I let it cook, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes to soften the figs and get the ingredients mixed well together. 







Once the figs had softened, I used a small scoop to take the bigger pieces out.  I then blended them to make a puree and added it back into the jam mixture. I then brought it to a rolling boil and stirred constantly until it reached the thickness I was looking for.


I then ladled it into sterilized hot jars and followed safe canning practices, processing them in a hot water bath at a rolling boil for ten minutes to seal the jars.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...